Friday, July 24, 2009

Favorite etsy artists, the Grand Ole Bestiary




This is a photo of the Catsby twins from the Grand Ole Bestiary shop on etsy. To quote directly from the shop's description:





"The Grand Ole Bestiary is a collection of faux-antique, anthropomorphic, mythological curios that were recovered from an ancient archival vault found buried deep inside the core of a metaphysical holy mountain. Touted as one of the most compelling discoveries of evidence to date that proves a recent enduring existence of these magnificent creatures that were once worshiped or damned by many ancient human civilizations."





I adore the unexpected in art, movies, and, of course, jewelry. So, when I came across The Grand Ole Bestiary in one of my etsy roams, I was immediately smitten. The images are both lovely and unsettling, with their humanized animals, or animalized humans. The antique quality also appeals to my sensibilities. So gorgeous and strange. The pictures fascinate me. They remind me of ancient civilizations, like the Egyptians or the Greeks, who so often combined animal and human characteristics to make something magical.





As a matter of fact, I'm about to order one now to hang in the hall. I'm having trouble deciding which one to order. I want them all, of course. Despite the immediate charm of the kittens, I'm also quite fond of the goat, the bison and the gazelle. . .



Isn't that both unsettling and adorable? I think so too!

Stop by their shop. Even if it's not exactly your cup of tea, the images are sure to charm you.

Link to The Grand Ole Bestiary's shop on etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6910007

Addendum: In the end, I went with Franz Owlman, champion rodent hunter and puker. How could I say no?

No comments:

Post a Comment