Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spooky movies! Let the Right One in


"You have to invite me in. . ."
A lot of people don't like foreign subtitled moves. The big problem at my house is that I rarely just sit and watch a movie. I'm usually making jewelry or doing something else, so subtitles can be a bit tricky. Sometimes, I'll be halfway through a movie and think, "Okay, I have no idea what the heck is going on here. But, hey, look, a necklace!" Let the Right One In is worth the effort of subtitles.
In 1980's era Sweden, a very pale, very thin boy who is bullied terribly at school befriends a mysterious new girl in the neighborhood. As it turns out, the girl has a very dark secret; she's a vampire. Their growing emotional bond forms the center of this story. It's a coming of age movie, a first romance movie, a revenge movie, a horror movie, and it looks really really cold and dark in Sweden. The two young actors are amazing, the photography is gorgeous, and the ending will surprise you. I'm not big on vampire genre movies, for some reason. This one is so unusual, gorgeous and, in a weird way, sweet that it completely charmed me. Beware, there is some blood and gore, not to mention the dreaded subtitles, but it's so dreamy and strange at the same time. I've never seen a movie quite like it.
I also just read that an American version is slated for 2010 release. Trust me, it won't be half the movie the original is.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book last month. It was incredible! and I'm not much of a "horror" type person-I just couldn't put this one down!

    ReplyDelete