Friday, August 6, 2010

The pricey mystery of the Dyson fan

I am a fan addict. I grew up in the deep, deep South, with no air conditioning, so there were always fans running. I'm one of those people who can't sleep without the sound of the fan. So, imagine how fascinated I am by the new Dyson Air Multiplier bladeless fans. I saw them in Target when I was replacing my poor stand fan that had been running continuously for about ten years, and was threatening to burst into flames.
My first thought was, "Oooooooooo, Dyson. They made my magical fantastical vacuum cleaner."
My second thought was, "$400.00? For a fan? Heh heh heh, no."
But look at them up there. They're mythical, mystical circles of cooling. They look like something out of a science fiction movie, like you should be able to throw stuff through the circle and have it go back in time or something. Or maybe tiny rainbow unicorns will suddenly start leaping through it. It's just. . . weird, huh?
How does it work? Old-fashioned fans have blades, which cause unpleasant buffeting of the air. They also collect cat hair like crazy, but that is my issue. The new Dyson fans have no blades. They actually amplify the air.
To my non-scientific brain, this means the Dyson fans create more air from nothing. Air comes in at a level one and goes out at a level fifteen. How does it do that? I have absolutely no flipping idea. Magic. NASA magic.
The one I want costs $449.99. Now, if I could put one dollar bill in the back of the Dyson fan, and have fifteen dollars blow out the front? That would be a wise investment.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Every time I see that commercial I want to put my hand and arm thru that ring! Will it hurt or feel weird or nothing? And really where is the air coming from? Is it being sucked in from somewhere then blown out the ring? Scientific minds want to know! But at that price I'll keep on guessing!

    ReplyDelete