Thursday, October 8, 2009

Spooky movies! The Descent


This is one of those movies that Netflix recommended for me, so I gave it a try. I threw it into the DVD player one night, thinking it might be passable, and proceeded to be completely pleasantly surprised. Here's the gist of the plot: A group of women go caving and experience a cave in, so they cannot get out. A band of cave dwelling creatures starts attacking the women, the women's interpersonal relationships undergo great strain as life secrets are revealed, and they are killed off one by one. A year previously, one of the women experienced a tragic event that will have an effect on the way this plot plays out.
This movie shouldn't work. The plot sounds unbelievable, cliched and lame. However, the movie did work for me, because the characters are drawn and developed with such great detail that you really start to sympathize with them and care about their well-being. Yes, it's dark and incredibly claustrophobic, often disgustingly slimy, and weird predatory creatures jump out at unexpected times making creepy noises and ripping out people's throats. But it's more the personal isolation and the sense of being trapped and hopeless that make the movie work. Also, the way the women interact adds an extra layer to the horror and tension. Not everyone's taste, but this one is in my top twenty-five favorite horror movies of all time.
Favorite quote: "The noise she's making, she'll bring every one of those things down on her head." "As long as it's not on mine."

2 comments:

  1. I watched that movie a while back. I liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen or heard of this one.I'll try and remember to watch it one day.

    ReplyDelete