Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why I watch awards shows, the good

So, the Golden Globes were on Sunday night. Yes, Ricky Gervais was the host, and some people are arguing that his jokes were mean-spirited and not funny. I only had an issue when he called out Robert Downey, Jr.'s somewhat questionable past. Look, stars should be able to handle a little humor at their own expense. People should be able to laugh at themselves. I do it every single day. However, do not, I repeat, do not talk badly about RDJ. He is deliciousness personified, and there will be a rumble. Hands off.
Whew, I feel better. Let's look at some fashion, okay?
Heidi Klum in Marc Jacobs
This dress is getting a lot of grief from fashionistas, who say it looks more like Heidi was going to a beach party instead of a red carpet event. You know what? The colors are lovely on her, it looks easy and fresh, and I love it. Maybe I've been cooped up in the wintery house for too long, but she looks like a hothouse flower to me.

Claire Danes in Calvin Klein
Simple, clean, gorgeous color. If you had boobs, you couldn't wear this dress. Calvin designs for women who are built like boys. Claire rocked this, didn't she? This coral is divine on her. She looks like a starlet from her My So-Called Life days.

Eva Longoria-Parker in Zac Posen
She looks like a fabulous boudoir doll standing still in this gown, with the pool of lucious fabric at her feet. Unfortunately, this is a sample dress, designed for a 5'11" model, and Eva is about 5'3". She had some trouble walking in it, but didn't it do great things for her body? Her boobs look great, and I'm loving the pin on the hip.

Olivia Wilde in Marchessa
Gorgeous, big, sparkly princess dress! Magically over the top. I want to wear this to Wal-Mart! I also want to put her hair up.

Natalie Portman in Viktor & Rolf
Natalie looked so glowy and pregnant and in love. Delightful. Some think the flower was too much, but it's a sparkly, silky corsage. Adorable.

Scarlett Johansson in Elie Saab
This blush color is tough to wear, but Scarlett can do it. So rosy on her skin, and the sleeves are fluttery and feminine. Her hair was a little large in back, a la The Bride of Frankenstein. Other than that, sequined perfection. Such a beautiful woman.

Angelina Jolie in Versace
You can say what you want to about Angie, but the lady knows how to take over a red carpet. Sure, it never hurts to have Brad Pitt as your arm candy, but this emerald green Versace dress with the exaggerated shoulders makes her look like a 1940s goddess.
I do kinda want to feed her though, don't you?

Kyra Sedgwick in Emilio Pucci
Yes! Yes yes yes! I love Kyra! She always wears something unusual, a color no one else would consider, like this amazing goldenrod Pucci gown. Her hair is lovely. Plus, she's still married to Kevin Bacon, and they're my favorite red carpet couple. A risk taker who always works it out.

Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive
Best dressed for the night. The pailettes on this gown were amazing, with the wide shoulder and the scoop back. I'm not a huge Anne Hathaway fan, but there's no denying that this was the most polished, divine look of the night.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the bad. And there was some shockingly, despairingly bad. Yes, Helena Bonham Carter, I'm looking at you and your mismatched shoes.

3 comments:

  1. These were some of my favourites too, along with Dianna Agron from Glee. I think Anne Hathaway looked the best as well - she has the perfect body for that dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool over Robert! And yes I kind of wanted to punch Ricky Gervais! Loved how Kyra looked, always a favorite. Can't wait to read about the bad. You are always so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great cerimony indeed! :)
    and great blog! congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete