Friday, August 14, 2009

My favorite etsy artists, 2ndcoming


All right, guys, I should start out by saying that I adore this new shop and this seller. Her stuff is bright, intuitive and irreverent. There's a bit of urban, smart humor in everything she has listed. I ordered what seems to be her darkest piece (surprise), this Poe illustration. She listed Mr. Poe the same day that I listed a necklace titled Annabel Lee. Who am I to argue with that kind of American Romantic fate, huh? I have to say, it's absolutely wonderful, and I've already added it to my etsy art wall. It completely captures Poe and the history of the poem on one little sheet of paper. Amazing. Such a face on the tragic fellow.






But I think the piece that would sum up her shop completely is this lovely print, "Illuminating." As the description reads, "She has a voice, she has ideas." It captures that moment of personal illumination so well, maybe because I'm fond of saying "Can you see the light bulb over my head?" on those rare occasions anymore when I have a moment of true enlightenment. The primary colors and use of the decorative background make this piece quite striking.






Her stuff kind of reminds me of Roy Lichtenstein, one of the genius leaders of the Pop Art movement in the sixties, only with a lot more soul. It has that same kind of edgy, tongue-in-cheek view that often leads to great insight. Her bright yellow taxi, with all of its forward momentum and generous splash of color, represents the city that never sleeps, a city I have always wanted to visit, but I have yet to make it. Joni Mitchell's song "Big Yellow Taxi" also comes to mind. "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. . ."






Visit her etsy shop for more colorful joy:

1 comment:

  1. Love the lightbulb in the mouth one!

    Thanks for posting on my blog thread!

    http://christieocttage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete