Tuesday, December 1, 2009

World AIDS Day

Robert Mapplethorpe was one of the most visionary, scandalous and celebrated photographers of the latter twentieth century. His incredible images had such huge influence and impact on me. He died in 1989, at the age of 42, of compications arising from AIDS. Here are a few of his amazing self-portraits. To see more of his work, visit The Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation. Warning: Some of his photos are explicit.

"I want to get a picture that is the way I want to remember someone. It's like a diary in the end."

2 comments:

  1. I remember when he died even though I was in junior high. I'd seen some of his work- not the explicit stuff- and was in awe of it- I still am.
    I also remember how scary and mysterious AIDS was then. A lot of progress has been made, but not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Mapplethorpe exhibit in Cincinnati the day before it was shut down (apparently too profane for the conservative town of cincinnati!) and I was really moved by his images. He continues to be a fave to this day.
    Last week Annie Lennox (sp?) performed with Aretha Franklin on some show and she was wearing a t-shirt printed with the words "I have AIDS".
    A reminder to us all that as long as one person in this world suffers from this disease-so do we all.

    ReplyDelete